Facebook apparently wants to act as a guide to which apps folks might want to check out on their Android or iOS devices, and has launched it’s App Center today.
Listing over 600 curated apps, it puts your friends app recommendations right in front of you. The App center is available on the desktop website, or on your mobile Facebook app. From the desktop version though, you can send apps to your phone. When you get the notification on your phone, it’ll redirect you to the App Store or Google Play Store to download the app.
Facebook has guidelines available for developers who want to get their apps or games featured. This kinda looks like a response to Google who shows you what apps on the Google Play store have been +1’d by people in your Google Plus circles.
More info in the full press release below.
[toggle_content title="Press Release"]
· The App Center is launching tonight with more than 600 social apps, including Nike+ GPS, Ubisoft Ghost Recon Commander, Stitcher Radio, Draw Something, and Pinterest.
· Each person will have a personalized experience in the App Center, with recommendations based on the apps they and their friends use, whether that be games or fashion, food, fitness, travel, or other lifestyle apps.
· You’ll only see high quality apps in the App Center, based on user ratings and engagement.
· The App Center is available on mobile via the Facebook apps for iOS and Android, or by accessing Facebook.com on mobile.
· More than 230 million people play games on Facebook every month
· More than 130 games on Facebook have more than 1 million monthly active users.
· More than 4,500 timeline apps have launched since f8 in September 2011.
· Facebook drove people to the Apple App Store 83 million times in May.
· Facebook drove people to iOS apps 134 million times in May (someone who already has the app and is directed back to it from Facebook.)
· As of May, seven of the top 10 grossing iOS apps and six of the top 10 Android apps have integrated with Facebook.
[button link="https://www.facebook.com/appcenter/" color="cyan"]Facebook App center[/button] [button link="http://newsroom.fb.com/News/App-Center-A-New-Place-to-Find-Social-Apps-175.aspx" color="blue"]Facebook[/button]