Sony’s Xperia U, Xperia P and Xperia Sola Launched in India
Sony India have launched their Xperia U, Xperia P and Xperia Sola smartphones here in India today.
Both the Xperia U and Xperia P are based on dual core SoCs and NFC enabled. The Xperia P has a 4 inch reality display, and is Sony’s first smartphone to use the “White magic” display tech for some great outdoor visibility and smart power saving abilities. It boasts an 8 megapixel camera with Full HD video recording.
The Xperia U has a compact design, 1 Ghz dual core processor, 3.5 inch reality display, 5 megapixel EXMOR sensor, yada yada and is the more affordable of the three, with a transparent element which serves as the notification center with colored lights for each kind of notification, and even change the color with respect to what’s displayed on the gallery photos.
The Xperia Sola, unlike other touchscreen phones, can detect when a finger is just ‘hovering’ over the screen, not just only when contact is made. Thanks to it’s “Floating Touch” technology. As such there are interesting things like the ability to hover like a cursor when selecting links in the browser, etc.
We already did a quick hands-on with the 2012 Xperia phones so I wont go into any more detail before our review.
The Sony Xperia U is priced at Rs 17,399 while the Sony Xperia Sola is available for a price of Rs 20,449 and the Sony Xperia P is priced at Rs 25,799. More info over in the full Press Release below.
[toggle_content title="Press Release"]
This summer, get stylish, as Sony’s Xperia™ U, P and Sola reach Indian shores
· Now retailing: Xperia™ U, the colour-changing smartphone & Xperia Sola, the smartphone with the floating touch to let consumer experience web magic
· The soon-to-be available Xperia™ P, designed for an ultra-bright viewing experience;
· Tata DOCOMO to offer exclusive package of games “GAMETANIUM” on Xperia Sola along with exciting data offer.
Bangalore, May 24, 2012 – Sony Mobile Communications has announced the availability of its next-in-line Xperia™ NXT smartphones – Xperia™ U and P, and the Xperia™ Sola, in India. Initially unveiled at the Xperia™ S launch in the city last month, the three new devices will be available to consumers in the month of May. While the Xperia™ U and Xperia™ Sola are already retailing and Xperia™ P will be available in the last week of this month.
P. Balaji, Managing Director, Sony Mobile Communications India commented: “After the Xperia™ S, these three new smartphones will appeal to the Indian consumers. Each Xperia Smartphone comes with a distinct user experience and set of features available at different price points, so that the consumers have more to choose from. Xperia Sony smartphones are designed around the consumer experiences of Listen, Watch, Play, Create and share. All these smartphones would add tremendous value to the Indian consumers in improving their personal, professional and social life. ”
The Xperia™ U is designed to appeal to consumers who love personalizing their devices; consumers can indulge by changing the bottom caps on the smartphone, or see the illuminating transparent element changing color to match the color of the picture or theme on the phone screen. Powered by xLoud’s 3D surround sound, and 5MP camera, and HD video, the Xperia™ U is a charmer!
For those who are glued to the internet on their smartphones, the Xperia™ Sola is their dream come true. With its Floating Touch™ features, consumers only need to move their finger over the links, and they get highlight; once they find the right link, just touch, and voila, enjoy the show! The Xperia™ Sola is also NFC-ready. And with dual core 1 GHz processing power, web browsing could not have been more responsive. Additionally, customers will also have the option to avail free data offers from Tata DOCOMO.
Mr Sunil Tandon, Head of Non-Voice Services, Tata Teleservices Limited, said: “At Tata DOCOMO, we have always strived to take the mobility experience to newer levels and add new dimensions to our range of handsets, since they are an important element of our ecosystem. Partnering with Sony Mobile will enable us to provide customers with a compelling proposition—that of accessing free data services (up to 3GB) on Tata DOCOMO platform, making for a new and invigorating mobility experience on Xperia Sola.”
Also, Tata DOCOMO introduces “Let’s Play on Android” – a gaming service that lets users play premium Android Games on Xperia Sola on a very attractive monthly subscription of Rs. 99 only. This exclusive package of games “GAMETANIUM” consists of 30 premium games worth more than Rs.2000/-.
The Xperia P™, sibling to the Xperia™ S, has a simple, strong design language, and a full aluminium unibody gives this smartphone a unique, durable and modern look. Its USP is the incorporation of Sony’s unique WhiteMagic™ technology, which enables a clear display, even in bright sunlight. This technology adds a 4th white sub-pixel – traditional LCD screens have three; red, green and blue – to the Reality Display, leading to an outstanding combination of an ultra-bright screen and great power efficiency. How? The Xperia P™ automatically adjusts the brightness of the screen to surrounding light, when the light is not so strong, the device uses less battery power.
“Our new devices are only a sign of the brand’s commitment to what Indian consumers want. The Xperia™ U, which is a youth design, the Xperia™ Sola, meant for anyone who loves internet experiences on the move, and the Xperia™ P, with a solid design and bright screen technology – Sony smartphones bring alive consumer experiences. The launch of these smartphones will be supported by strong marketing support in India,” said Prasun Kumar, Head – Marketing, Sony Mobile Communications India.
What’s inside the Sony Xperia™ U, Xperia™ P, and Xperia™ Sola?
Sony Xperia™ U @ Rs.17, 399
Powerful and personal!
· Dimensions /weight: 112 x 54 x 12 mm / 110 g
· Display: 3.5” Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine, 854 x 480 pixels, 16 million colours, scratch-resistant mineral glass
· Camera: 5 megapixel, auto focus, 720p HD video recording, front-facing VGA camera, 2D and 3D Sweep Panorama™, LED flash
· Multimedia: xLoud™, 3D surround sound, Music player, Video player, Photo Gallery, FM radio, TrackID™
· Platform /performance: Google Android™ 2.3 (Gingerbread), , dual core 1 GHz processor
· Memory: 8 GB (up to 4 GB user-accessible memory) plus 50GB cloud space FREE for life
· Connectivity: 3.5 mm audio jack (CTIA), aGPS, Bluetooth™ (A2DP), DLNA Certified®, Wi-Fi®, USB Host
· Colour Available: Black, White (with caps in Pink & Yellow)
Sony Xperia™ P @ Rs. 25, 799
· Dimensions /weight: 122 x 59.5 x 10.5 mm / 120 g
· Display: 4.0” Reality Display with Sony’s WhiteMagic™ technology, Mobile BRAVIA® Engine, 960 x 540 pixels (qHD), 16 million colours, scratch-resistant mineral glass
· Camera: 8 megapixel, auto focus, full 1080p HD video recording, Exmor R™ for mobile. Image sensor, front camera (VGA), 2D and 3D Sweep Panorama, LED flash
· Multimedia: Clear audio, xLoud™, 3D surround, Sound, Music player, Video player, Photo Gallery, FM radio, TrackID™
· Platform /performance: Google Android™ 2.3 (Gingerbread), dual core 1 GHz processor, fast charging
· Memory: 16 GB (up to 13 GB user-accessible memory) plus 50GB cloud space FREE for life
· Connectivity: 3.5 mm audio jack (CTIA), aGPS, Bluetooth™, HDMI, DLNA Certified®, NFC, Wi-Fi®, USB Host
· Colour Available: Black, Silver & Red
Sony Xperia™ Sola @ Rs. 20,449
Smartphone with a sense of magic!
· Dimensions /weight: Size: 116 x 59 x 9.9 mm
· Display: 3.7” Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine, 854 x 480 pixels, 16,000,000 colour TFT, Scratch-resistant glass
· Camera: 5 megapixel, auto focus, 720p HD video recording, 2D and 3D Sweep Panorama™, LED flash
· Multimedia: 3D Album, Accelerated Adobe Flash Video, Media browser, Motion gaming, Radio (FM radio with RDS), Video streaming, YouTube™
· Platform /performance: Google Android™ 2.3 (Gingerbread) with 1GHz dual core processor for fast performance
· Memory: 8 GB internal storage (up to 5 GB user-accessible memory), microSD™ memory card slot (supporting up to 32GB) plus 50GB cloud space FREE for life
· Connectivity : 3.5 mm audio jack (CTIA), aGPS, Bluetooth™ wireless technology, DLNA Certified®, Micro USB support, Media Go™, Media Transfer Protocol support, Modem, Native USB tethering, NFC, PC Companion, Synchronisation via Microsoft® Exchange ActiveSync®, USB High speed 2.0 support, USB Host
· Colour Available: Black, White, Red
Tata DOCOMO offer on Xperia Sola
Tata DOCOMO 3G pre-pay customers will get the benefit to download free 3GB data for three months. Similarly, post-pay 3G customers will be able to download 1GB data per month for three months and much more. Tata DOCOMO 2G pre-pay customers will get 3GB data usage free, valid for 90 days and 300 minutes of local Tata to Tata calling. Where as, Tata DOCOMO postpay customers will get 1GB data usage per month free for the next three months, along with 100 minutes of local Tata to Tata calling per month for three months.
Exclusive package of games “GAMETANIUM” on your Xperia Sola :-
Come and Experience an innovative and unique gaming subscription service on your Xperia Sola.
For the first time in India, millions of Tata customers will have unlimited access to the best Android games like ZENONIA®, Fruit Ninja and MX Moto. The service is available for all Tata DOCOMO customers having phones with Android 2.1 and above. The users can download the Gaming application by sending an SMS ‘Play’ to
53333. Price – Rs 99/month for Subscription. DAC charges as applicable.